- What is Detoxification
- Detoxification or cleansing is the process of eliminating toxins from our bodies. We are constantly bombarded with toxins from our environment, food and water sources, and metabolic processes. If there is an accumulation of toxins in our bodies they can create disease or at the very least symptoms such as headaches, muscular aches and pains, and fatigue.
Toxicity associated with the immune system may be a factor in the development of asthma, allergies, skin disorders, chronic infections, and cancer. Toxicity associated with the nervous system may affect cognition, mood, and overall mental functioning. Toxicity in the endocrine system can affect reproduction, menstruation, libido, metabolic rate, stress tolerance, and glucose regulation. If they body is able to eliminate these toxins in an efficient manner than there is not a buildup of toxins and a healthy body is the result.
- Consider this...
- According to the US Environmental Protection Agency, more than 4 billion pounds of chemicals were released into the ground water sources
- Over 260 million pounds of chemical were discharged into lakes, rivers, and oceans
- Nearly 2 billion pounds of air emissions were pumped into the atmosphere
- Several thousand food additives are intentionally added to our food supply, and thousands more slip into our food supply unintentionally during harvesting, processing, or packaging. In fact, the average American consumes about 124 pounds of food additives a year.
- Common ways our exposure to toxins is increased:
So if we are all chronically exposed to toxins how do we properly eliminate them? There are five main emunctories, or organs of elimination: Bowels, Lungs, Liver, Kidney, and Skin. If there is a problem in one or more of these organs than toxicity ensues and our health starts to deteriorate. Below is a table with basic symptoms and lifestyle causes for dysfunction in each organ of elimination.
- Eating a diet high in processed foods and fat
- Drinking tap water
- Excessive consumption of caffeinated beverages
- Chronic use of medication (s)
- Lack of strenuous exercise
- Kidney problems
- Using pesticides, herbicides, paint, and other toxic substances without adequate protective gear
- Recreational drug use
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- Tobacco use
- Intestinal dysfunction
- Liver dysfunction
- Occupational exposure
- Living or working near areas of high vehicle traffic or industrial plants
- Organ of Symptoms Elimination
- Bowels - Constipation, diarrhea, digestive gas and bloating
Lungs - Chronic phlegm conditions, wheezing, shortness of breath
Liver - Mood swings, hormonal imbalances, chronic diseases
Kidney - Strong odor to urine
Skin - Rashes, inability to sweat, or foul odor or discharge with perspiration
- Potential Lifestyle Causes
- Bowels - Lack of pure water or dietary fiber; excess of pain medication
Lungs - Excess mucous producing foods, exposure to inhaled environmental toxins
Liver - Excess alcohol and medications, nutrient deficiencies need to drive detoxification reactions
Kidney - Lack of pure fluids
Skin - Lack of regular exercise, exposure to environmental chemicals
At Whole Family Healthcare we are the experts in detoxification and cleansing programs. We make a point to identify toxic exposures and try to reduce them while strengthening or opening up the organs of elimination. If you do not detoxify properly then you can become very sick. Detoxification
programs are uniquely designed based your health history and wellness goals. Treatment options include far-infrared sauna and various cleanses utilizing a combination of herbs, homeopathics, and nutritional supplements. Detoxification
could be the answer to your chronic health problems. Please call one of our experienced providers to get started today. 407 644-2990